Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

the guava ride

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
JimW

the guava ride Empty
PostSubject: the guava ride   the guava ride Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 am

It was well organized, about 200 total cyclist. From Grupetto there was Mark E, Paul S and myself. Idlewild Baptist with Vicki had six cyclist, three women and three men. We cycled with them for the first 70 miles (one of the guys had the route down pat and led us through every turn).

Mark, Paul and I picked up the pace a little bit as we hit the trail. Around mile 80, I over heated and stopped for 15 minutes. It was on the trail so I had Mark and Paul continue w/o me. I pulled into Honeymoon Island about 3:15 and that was the century mark. Hot, tired and riding alone I decided that was enough. I could have paced at about 15 but that would have meant finishing about 5:30 and probably alone. I left Honeymoon Island about 3:45 to meet Stacy at Curlew and Bayshore. On the bridge I saw Vicki's group going into the park.

Paul and Mark finished about 4:30 and clocked 130 miles. I only completed 102.55. I was impressed with the people running it. At Honeymoon Island they were very aware that Vicki and two other women were still riding at a steady pace. Not sure how they knew but they did. I told them they were fine and there were three men cyclist with them as well.

Great ride except for the trail. The best part was going behind the ST. Pete Forum where there was a blast of cold air. Another time of year would be great. Not sure I want to attempt 127 miles in the summer again, w/o training.

Last edited by JimW on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanted to be more specific)
Back to top Go down
Randy
Admin
Randy

the guava ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: the guava ride   the guava ride Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks so much for the update! My hat goes off to everyone. I would have liked the challenge but didn't think I was prepared for it. I have been focusing on the 50 mile mark for so long now. I think the longest ride I've done was 62 miles since the MS ride. Planning on starting an endurance ride on Sunday's to get ready for some the upcoming fall rides and centuries.

Thanks again for the update! Great job Grupetto-USA!
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

the guava ride
Page 1 of 1