Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why Are Triceps So Sore After Long Rides?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Why Are Triceps So Sore After Long Rides? Empty
PostSubject: Why Are Triceps So Sore After Long Rides?   Why Are Triceps So Sore After Long Rides? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 6:40 pm

QUESTION: I did my first long ride of the season last weekend and my triceps are sore. I mean, really sore -- like I overdid it in the weight room. I didn't pedal with my arms, so why did this happen? -- Jason S.

COACH FRED: Triceps, the "pushing" muscles on the back of your upper arms, get a workout in cycling because they support your body weight as you lean on the handlebar. The longer the ride, the greater the stress.

Here are three tips for dealing with this problem, which many riders experience early in the season:

1. Check your riding position. An overly long reach to the handlebar tends to stress and fatigue the triceps. So does a saddle that's pointed down because you slide forward and resist by pushing back with your arms.

"Andy Pruitt's Medical Guide for Cyclists," which I co-authored, is an excellent resource for solving aches and pains related to bike fit and riding position.

2. Do triceps strengthening exercises. Simple pushups are ideal because they target the triceps and require no equipment. Do them with your hands the same distance apart as when you hold the handlebar. If you find pushups difficult, it's fine to do them from your knees instead of your toes.

If you have a light barbell, try this: Hold it overhead with your upper arms against your ears, bend your elbows to lower the weight behind your head, then straighten your arms. (If using a dumbbell, do the same thing with one arm at a time.) Do 15-25 repetitions.

3. Change your hand location often. During long rides, move to a different place on the handlebar every few minutes to relieve the strain on your arms and hands. Switch among the tops, lever hoods, hooks and drops.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Why Are Triceps So Sore After Long Rides?
Page 1 of 1