Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Avoid Numb Hands?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Avoid Numb Hands? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Avoid Numb Hands?   How Can I Avoid Numb Hands? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 pm

Question: After about 30 minutes of riding, my hands get so numb and tingly that I can't shift gears. My handlebar is level with the saddle. Can you help? -- David W.

Coach Fred Replies: You've already done one key thing to prevent hand numbness -- raise the handlebar. Doing so stops you from putting excessive weight on your hands that compresses nerves and blood vessels. So there must be another cause. Here are some suggestions to help you sleuth out the problem:

Move your hands frequently. Switch your grip from the hoods to the drops to the flats next to the stem, then back again. Don't leave your hands in one place long enough for tingling to develop.

Change your grip. Hold the bar in a way that limits pressure on the center of the heel of your hand. That's where you're most susceptible to numbing nerve compression.

Pad your hands and/or handlebar. Sometimes wearing gel gloves or putting gel padding under the handlebar tape will stop numbness by softening pressure and damping vibration.

Check your saddle angle. If the nose is tilted down, it can cause you to slide forward. This puts extra weight on your hands and stresses your arms and shoulders, too.

Consider aero bars. When using them, all hand pressure is relieved. Weight is borne by your forearms.

Consider changing shifters. Some riders do better with bar-end or down-tube shifters rather than integrated brake/shift levers. When you have to move your hands to shift, pressure is automatically relieved.

Get a hand exam. Numbness in just 30 minutes of riding is unusual. If it also persists long after rides, check with a physician to rule out an underlying cause.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Avoid Numb Hands?
Page 1 of 1