Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Keep Wheel Spray Away?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Keep Wheel Spray Away? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Keep Wheel Spray Away?   How Can I Keep Wheel Spray Away? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Question: I just returned from the most miserable ride I've ever done! I got caught in the rain 30 miles from home. I had a windbreaker but water from the rear wheel sprayed up and soaked my shorts. The wet chamois rubbed me raw. What can I do next time to avoid this misery? -- Monty G.

Coach Fred Replies: A bike with fenders is the best way to defeat rear-wheel spray. On a day when rain threatens, simply ride that bike. If it fits you well and you like it, there's no downside. Besides, using it is the best way to ensure that it doesn't rain!

Another option: Quick-mount fenders for your regular bike. Click for a review of the slick SKS Race Blades.

If you're fenderless, here are three options.

Carry a rain jacket. As opposed to a windbreaker, a rain jacket made for cycling, has a drop-down tail. It should be long enough to cover the saddle as well as your rump. Some riders prefer to sit on the tail.

A good rain jacket will also have other cycling-specific features. You need a ventilation system to prevent overheating. A bright color and reflective material will help drivers see you. Ideally, the jacket won't be so bulky that it can't be rolled and stowed in a jersey pocket.

One jacket that meets the criteria is the Century by Showers Pass, another product we've reviewed.

Use a large seatbag. It will deflect rear-wheel spray. So will a bag mounted on a rear rack.

Make an emergency tail. Carry a piece of heavy-duty garbage bag, about 18x24 inches. Tuck one end into the rear waistband of your shorts and you'll have an instant waterproof tail. As a last resort, watch the roadside for a plastic shopping bag. It'll work.
Tip! Carry a tube of petroleum jelly. If your shorts get soaked, stop and smear some on your crotch. The stuff is waterproof and a good lubricant. It'll protect your skin from becoming wet, soft and abraded.

Source: RBR
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Keep Wheel Spray Away?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tampa Area Cycling :: Training Forum :: Health and Nutrition-
Jump to: