Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Can I Ride Well on the South Beach Diet?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Can I Ride Well on the South Beach Diet? Empty
PostSubject: Can I Ride Well on the South Beach Diet?   Can I Ride Well on the South Beach Diet? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Question: I have been on the South Beach diet for several months. I'm losing weight and riding okay, except that I lack energy on longer rides and my snap on hills is abysmal.

I know I need more carbohydrate to ride well, but I'm afraid that if I add carbs in the form of sports drinks and energy bars I'll regain weight. What should I do? -- Mack K.

Coach Fred Replies: A low-carb diet seems to work well initially for many people. That is, they lose weight for several months. But it can be difficult to maintain the weight loss because of carb cravings, among other reasons.

For cyclists it's almost impossible to ride well, especially for long distances or at high speeds, without adequate carbohydrate intake. After all, carbs are the source of glycogen, the muscles' primary fuel.

That said, the South Beach Diet is less restrictive than Atkins and some other regimens. It provides more carbs in the form of vegetables. That's good.

You'll have to experiment with adding sports drinks and energy bars. See if you ride better. See if you gain weight.

If you don't begin adding pounds, include more whole-grain products to your off-bike diet and watch what happens. You can always cut back carbs if weight is creeping on.

The other key issue is restricting food to the point that you lose strength.

Yes, climbing is dependent on your power-to-weight ratio. But losing weight is only one part of the equation. You also need to maintain power. Excessive weight loss (and carbohydrate depletion) will eventually turn you into a weak rider.

Source: RBR
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Can I Ride Well on the South Beach Diet?
Page 1 of 1