Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Upcoming Fall Rides in Florida

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Upcoming Fall Rides in Florida Empty
PostSubject: Upcoming Fall Rides in Florida   Upcoming Fall Rides in Florida Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 10:34 am

Hi fellow Suncoasters!
Here are some of the rides that are in our area or not too far away coming up over the next few months – including some that have become annual rides for many.

MILES FOR HOPE RIDE – ‘NEW’ RIDE -- SEPTEMBER 20 – CLEARWATER, FL
We hope you all will attend in support of Suncoast members Bob and Barb Gibbs… Please consider supporting this ride with attendance or volunteering or better yet, with fundraising to further the cause. The primary goal of this event is to raise funds to expand Brain Tumor Clinical Trials to include low-grade Brain Tumors and Pediatric Patients. DID YOU KNOW -- Brain tumors are the number one cancer killer of children under age 20? They need your help to further this cause. RIDES OF 10, 50 and 100K will be offered out of Clearwater -- FULL DETAILS HERE at http://milesforhope.org/

GEORGIA 6 GAP RIDE – DAHLONEGA, GA -- SEPTEMBER 28
I’ve heard there is some interest and some already committing to do the 6 Gap Ride (or alternate 3 Gap ride with a revised, more challenging route this year, plus NEW 35 mile valley ride) in Dahlonega, GA. Site of the famous Tour de Georgia, this is a tough but exhilarating ride that everyone should do at least once in their riding career! It’s not terribly far and if there are enough Suncoasters and friends going, I’m sure there will be opportunities for carpooling, sharing of accommodations, etc… plus training for that ride… which is a must! Beautiful area worth visiting. Check out the ride info here and if you have interest you may want to register, as cut off for t-shirt is Sept. 15 and I know rooms fill up fast from past experience. http://www.cyclenorthgeorgia.com/

HORSE FARM 100 AND SANTA FE 100 RIDES – GAINESVILLE, FL – OCTOBER 18 and 19.
I’ve heard there is a lot of interest in and some planning already for the Horse Farm 100 on Sunday but I’ve also heard it’s “parent weekend” in Gainesville that weekend, so motel rooms may be scarce and it’s recommended you book now if you are planning to go up the night before OR especially if you are planning to do the whole weekend of riding, to include the Santa Fe ride on Saturday. http://gccfla.org/gcf/
This can easily be a family weekend event, with shorter ride options on Sat./Sun. of 55, plus the Horse Farm “Tours” rides of 25, 30 or 45 on Sunday. This is a wonderful area to ride with great roads and wonderful scenery.

MDA CHALLENGE – DUNEDIN – NOVEMBER 16
Please don’t forget our annual fundraiser ride, now renamed MDA Challenge (formerly Diabetes Challenge)… registration will be open soon but in the meantime, don’t let that stop you from getting your fund raising underway! As in the past years, we’ll be offering the same great routes, same great venue, same great incentives and prizes, plus an additional bike in the fundraising mix this year. Flatland Cyclery, Tampa (Mike Ward) and Bike Lane, Port Richey (Larry Viens) are both generous bike contributors again this year, plus the annual high end bike raffle option generously donated by Chainwheel Drive (Dottie and Tom Jessup) – and with only 300 tickets to be sold, this offers up great chances to win. The site, up soon, will be www.mdachallenge.com so be sure to check there for all the details and a link to online registration or downloadable registration form and more.

WATCH FOR MORE ANNOUNCEMENTS!
I’m exploring options for an easy way for members to post their intentions regarding upcoming rides so they can coordinate and/or plan to meet and ride together.
If I do, I will certainly let you all know. As you have probably experienced, if someone sees a lot of interest in a particular ride, it gives them the incentive to attend the ride – especially if it might involve a bit more riding or training than they are accustomed to!

In the meantime, if you want to find ride buddies for training or attending any of the rides above, post to the club with your email so folks can contact you. (Instructions below)

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO POST TO THE CLUB:
• EMAIL TO: cycling@marlowe.net
• EMAIL FROM: YOUR EMAIL (this email must be from the email you have on file with us).
• SUBJECT: postie YOUR SUBJECT HERE (you must put postie in all lower case as the first word in the subject line. If you do not receive a copy, then you made an error.)(example: postie Looking for 6 Gap Riders)
See you on the road…
Christine
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Upcoming Fall Rides in Florida
Page 1 of 1