Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Revive your legs during long rides

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Revive your legs during long rides Empty
PostSubject: Revive your legs during long rides   Revive your legs during long rides Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Fall is a great time for long, easy rides. You have fitness from summer, you've met your challenging goals and the weather is perfect. Now you can simply have fun on your bike.

But slow, meandering rides can make you feel sluggish or even bored. After 50 miles of cruising, your legs (and your rear end) can use a little action.

The solution: Throw in a short "pickup" every few minutes. Pickups are like sprints but not as hard.

Watch for opportunities. Sprint away from stop signs, over little hills, out of turns or past the lair of a troublesome mutt. Don't script these pickups. Instead, do them when the terrain or situation asks for it.

To do a pickup, choose a cog 2-3 teeth smaller (higher gear) than you'd normally use for the situation. So, if you'd usually roll over a small rise in a 53x19-tooth, use the 53x17.

Don't sprint all-out. That's not the purpose. Instead, simply get out of the saddle and wind up the gear for 10-12 seconds. Effort should be about 80% of a flat-out sprint. You shouldn't be panting after you sit down. A few deep breaths should get you back to the ride's baseline effort.

You'll be amazed at how much better you feel if you treat your legs to these brisk efforts on long rides.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Revive your legs during long rides
Page 1 of 1