Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Go Faster on Long Rides?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Go Faster on Long Rides? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Go Faster on Long Rides?   How Can I Go Faster on Long Rides? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:24 pm

QUESTION: I've ridden a number of double centuries. I'd like to finish faster! How can I complete a moderately difficult double in less than 15 hours? -- Rowena W.

COACH FRED: The best way to reduce your time for any distance ride is to increase your cruising speed. The idea is to travel 1-2 mph faster with no additional perceived effort.

You obviously have the endurance to finish a double in good order, so the way to increase your speed is by doing speedwork in training.

I know, it sounds strange to think of doing intervals or training time trials of 3-15 minutes to get better at a ride of 12-15 hours. But increases in speed only come from asking your body to go faster. I'll be outlining a complete program in "Supercharged Training for Roadies."

To get faster, ride a 5- to 10-mile time trial twice a week on nonconsecutive days. You can do it by yourself on any course. It doesn't matter if it's flat or hilly. Warm up, then increase your speed till you're breathing hard and rhythmically. Don't go so fast that you're gasping and panting. The effort should feel hard but not painful. If you have a heart monitor, don't exceed 85-90% of your max heart rate.

After 4-6 weeks of training this way, you'll see the results on your long rides. You'll travel at your usual speed with less exertion, or go faster with your usual exertion.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Go Faster on Long Rides?
Page 1 of 1