Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Should I Warm Up for Group Rides?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Should I Warm Up for Group Rides? Empty
PostSubject: How Should I Warm Up for Group Rides?   How Should I Warm Up for Group Rides? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 pm

QUESTION: I ride mostly alone due to my hectic schedule. When I do join a group they start too fast. I expend so much energy trying to keep up in the first few miles that the rest of the ride is a struggle. Also, I seem to be a "tweener"-- too fast for slow groups, but too slow for fast ones. How can I remedy these problems? -- Jeffrey S.

COACH FRED: There ought to be a law that mandates easy spinning for 15-20 minutes at the start of every group ride. But often someone charges out of the parking lot in the big ring, and things deteriorate from there.

Short of imposing an "easy start" edict on your friends, the best solution is to start riding 15 minutes early so you can warm up before meeting the hammers.

Spin easily for five minutes, then gradually increase your cadence and gearing every minute until you're making a brisk effort and starting to sweat. Back off for a minute, then do two short sprints at 90 percent effort with a minute or two of spinning between each.

Now you'll roll up to the group with your blood flowing and your muscles warmed up. You'll have a much better chance of sticking with the fast starters.

As for finding a compatible group, lots of riders seem to share your problem. It makes me wonder why so many "tweeners" don't gravitate to their own group!

I think that if you solve the warm-up issue, the fast group won't be too fast for you. Or, you might suggest that it split in two, with a mid-level pack leaving a few minutes after the folks with fire in their eyes.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Should I Warm Up for Group Rides?
Page 1 of 1