Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Beat the Bonk?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Beat the Bonk? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Beat the Bonk?   How Can I Beat the Bonk? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 7:28 pm

QUESTION: How much should I eat during a long, strenuous ride? Last weekend I downed two fig bars, two cookies and half a banana during a four-hour ride. It wasn't enough. By the end, I felt miserable and couldn't pedal very well. Friends said I "bonked." How can I make sure this doesn't happen again? -- Bill R.

COACH FRED: Not eating and/or drinking enough is the primary reason that riders run out of energy on long rides. When you bonk, you feel awful and go painfully slow.

The rule of thumb for long rides is to ingest about 50 grams of carbohydrate per hour, beginning in the first 30 minutes.

A typical energy bar has about 40 grams of carbo. So, you need at least one bar and a bottle of sports drink each hour. This sounds like a lot, but it's what your body requires so it won't be running on fumes four hours down the road.

You don't need to eat energy bars all at once if that's uncomfortable for your stomach. It's fine to take a bite or two every 10-15 minutes throughout the ride. Be sure to follow each swallow with a couple mouthfuls of water or sports drink.

Boost your carbo consumption on your next long ride and you'll feel a big improvement, guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Beat the Bonk?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tampa Area Cycling :: Training Forum :: Fitness Training-
Jump to: