Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Look Back Without Veering?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Look Back Without Veering? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Look Back Without Veering?   How Can I Look Back Without Veering? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 7:43 pm

QUESTION: I'm fairly new to road riding and one technique eludes me. I can't look behind without veering several feet to the left, into traffic. Any tips? -- Gerard S.

COACH FRED: You're not alone, Gerard. Some people who've been riding for years still have a hard time holding their line while looking back.

The reason is that they keep both arms straight with elbows rigid. As a result, turning their shoulders to glance back also turns the handlebar.

Instead, relax the arm opposite the shoulder you're looking over. So to look left, relax and slightly bend the right elbow. Your bike will be less likely to swerve.

Also, slide to the side of your saddle. Move your crotch toward the right as you look over your left shoulder, so you're sitting on the inside of the left thigh.

Finally, don't put your entire focus to the rear. Tune in to your peripheral vision, too. By staying aware of your bike's line compared to lane lines or other cues, you'll be more sensitive to drifting.

Practice these techniques where there's no traffic (like in an empty parking lot) before you try them on the road. If you just can't get it and are often in situations where you need to check behind, consider a handlebar- or head-mounted rearview mirror.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Look Back Without Veering?
Page 1 of 1