Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Important Is High Cadence?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Important Is High Cadence? Empty
PostSubject: How Important Is High Cadence?   How Important Is High Cadence? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 6:43 pm

QUESTION: I've read many articles about the importance of pedaling fast. Now my head is spinning quicker than my feet! What if I can't keep my cadence over 100 rpm like Lance no matter how many drills I do? -- Michael C.

COACH FRED: There's nothing magic about any specific cadence, Michael. The make-up of your leg muscle fibers (the ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch), combined with your fitness, will self-select your cadence.

For most experienced riders, ideal cadence is in a fairly small range of 80-100 rpm, depending on factors we're all familiar with -- primarily the grade of the road, the surface condition, wind direction and available gear choices.

Several studies have examined the question of ideal cadence. When non-cyclists were the subjects, it was generally found that a low cadence of around 60-70 rpm was optimum.

But when trained cyclists were the guinea pigs, their most effective cadence was at least 20 rpm higher. This agrees with what experienced roadies have found -- we tend to automatically pedal at around 90 rpm in normal conditions.

Lance Armstrong has trained himself to use an even higher cadence. But if you watch during race coverage, he spins fast mainly in time trials or when attacking on climbs. During normal pack riding he pedals, well, normally. Even Lance doesn't keep at 100+ cadence throughout a six-hour race, nor is there reason to.

It's good to monitor your cadence and try to keep it toward the higher end of the 80-100-rpm range. In theory, that'll make you a more efficient rider. But ultimately your physiology and your fitness will tell you what cadence works best in a given circumstance.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Important Is High Cadence?
Page 1 of 1