Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Should I Pedal With Toes Pointed Down?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Should I Pedal With Toes Pointed Down? Empty
PostSubject: Should I Pedal With Toes Pointed Down?   Should I Pedal With Toes Pointed Down? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Question: How should cleats be positioned under the ball of the foot? That is, when I have the cranks horizontal, should my forward foot be horizontal or should my toes point down like Lance's? -- Mark M.

Coach Fred Replies: I'm not quite sure how your foot-angle question involves cleat position. These variables aren't closely related.

The ball of each foot should normally be centered over the pedal axle, although many roadies move cleats more toward the heel for greater comfort and stability.

In the past, riders who wanted to pedal "on their toes" moved their cleats toward them. This isn't recommended, however, because it opens the way for Achilles injuries and hot foot.

As for whether feet should be flat at the bottom of the stroke or toed down, it depends on what your feet and ankles want to do.

Some riders, like Lance, toe down quite a bit. Others, like Eddy Merckx, pedal with feet horizontal. Still others, like Greg LeMond, drop their heel at the bottom of the stroke, particularly when pedaling hard.

The difference is caused by muscle composition and ankle structure, among other factors. One technique isn't better than another. Set your cleats correctly, then let your feet do what's natural.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Should I Pedal With Toes Pointed Down?
Page 1 of 1