Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Not Jump over Potholes?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Not Jump over Potholes? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Not Jump over Potholes?   How Can I Not Jump over Potholes? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 7:57 pm

Question: I was riding in a small pack on the far right side of the road. Ahead, I could see that the edge of the pavement had crumbled, leaving a substantial pothole. But I was hemmed in, so I smacked into it. I didn't crash but I pinch flatted.

I'm afraid to jump my bike. How could I have avoided this mishap while still keeping my wheels firmly on the ground? -- Barry H.

Coach Fred Replies: If you aren't ready to try jumping over obstacles, you can lighten the impact by unweighting the bike so you don't hit so hard.

As the pothole approaches, coast with crankarms horizontal and rise slightly off the saddle. Support your weight on hands and feet. Knees and elbows should be bent and relaxed. Keep your head up.

Have you played basketball? It's the defensive stance. Be like a cat -- light on your feet and ready for action.

Just before the front wheel reaches the pothole, crouch deeper and then rise up to unweight the bike. You don't have to hop. A well-timed upward pull with your hands and feet will lighten the wheels equally and lessen the impact.

Timing is everything. Practice to develop a feel for it. Don't start with real potholes. Use cracks or seams that aren't going to be a problem if you blow it. Keep trying and soon you'll get the knack.

Of course, jumping your bike over a pothole is even more effective. That way, your wheels never touch it. The trick is to increase the upward force until both wheels leave the road simultaneously.

Jumping is rarely necessary, though. And unless it's done correctly, it can damage equipment as surely as riding into an obstacle.

Some roadies pop over potholes or railroad tracks just for the fun of being airborne. But jumping is a tool to use in critical circumstances, not for a cheap thrill.

Source: RBR
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Not Jump over Potholes?
Page 1 of 1