Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is It Okay to Sit Farther Forward?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Is It Okay to Sit Farther Forward? Empty
PostSubject: Is It Okay to Sit Farther Forward?   Is It Okay to Sit Farther Forward? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Question: In terms of power production and my overall position, I feel best when I move to the nose of the saddle. But, of course, that's not comfortable for long. Could I just slide the saddle forward so my knee is in the same position relative to the crank but the wide part of the saddle is under my sit bones? -- Mike G.

Coach Fred Replies: According to fit expert Andy Pruitt, your knee "wants" to be directly over the pedal axle on the downstroke, and your hips will slide forward or backward on the saddle in order to put your knee in this position.

So if you feel strongest when sitting forward, your body is telling you something important. It makes sense to slide the saddle forward so you're sitting on the wide part rather than the nose.

But first, be sure there aren't other factors at work. For instance, the saddle nose could be tilted down slightly, causing you to slide farther forward than would be natural. Or the reach to the handlebar may be excessive, forcing you to slide forward to lessen the reach and take pressure off your shoulders and hands.

If the saddle is level and the fore/aft location is correct according to the principles of correct fit, and you're still sliding forward to find the sweet spot, move the saddle toward the handlebar.

By the way, your question hits home for Ed, my RBR partner. The saddles on all of his bikes are nearly as far forward as the rails allow. He admits it isn't a pro look, but it's where his body wants to be. It gives him the best comfort and performance.

One more point: If you move the saddle forward, raise it about 1/3 of that amount to compensate for the seat tube's angle.

Is It Okay to Sit Farther Forward?
Page 1 of 1