Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which Cornering Technique Is Better?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Which Cornering Technique Is Better? Empty
PostSubject: Which Cornering Technique Is Better?   Which Cornering Technique Is Better? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Question: When cornering at fast speeds, I know you should coast with the outside pedal down and shift your weight to it. But what should you do with the inside leg -- point your knee into the turn or keep it in next to the bike? -- Jay B.

Coach Fred Replies: Traditionally, riders have pointed their knee into the turn, aiming it toward where they're going.

The sharper the curve, and thus the more lean angle needed, the farther out the knee would go. Many pros still corner this way. You'll see it when watching race videos or OLN's coverage of this season's events.

But there is another way. I first saw it used by American pros Davis Phinney and Ron Kiefel in the 1980s.

Called "countersteering," it's done by holding the inside knee against the top tube. You weight the outside pedal heavily, press the outside thigh against the saddle, and push gently against the handlebar with the inside hand. All this results in the bike cutting through the turn with a greater lean angle you're your body.

I've coached at Carpenter/Phinney Bike Camps where Davis teaches countersteering by having riders negotiate a slalom course in a parking lot.

He argues that it's the superior way, and I believe it. I've followed both Phinney and Kiefel down mountain passes here in Colorado. They fly!

Countersteering works on a mountain bike, too. I almost came to grief a few years ago, trying to stick with Davis on singletrack descents.

I've switched to countersteering and recommend giving it a try. I like it better because it seems more stable in tough turns.

It's also easier to correct my line in mid turn if I encounter gravel or sand. I simply let off some pressure on the inside hand. The bike straightens, then I re-initiate the turn by pushing again on the inside of the bar.

To learn, use paper cups to make a slightly downhill slalom course in an empty parking lot. Countersteering will seem awkward till you break your old knee-out habit, but once you get the hang of it you'll feel the advantages.

Source: RBR
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Which Cornering Technique Is Better?
Page 1 of 1