Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Two Favorite Safety Products

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Two Favorite Safety Products Empty
PostSubject: Two Favorite Safety Products   Two Favorite Safety Products Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 3:23 pm

Dear Jim: I recently crashed when an overtaking car forced me off the road. The fall knocked me out, and I was still "John Doe" in the hospital when I came to. They hadn't been able to contact my wife. Do you have any recommendations for carrying ID? And is there an inconspicuous type of rearview mirror? -- Sam Y.

Jim Langley Replies: I read with dismay of your accident, Sam. Things are dicey here in Santa Cruz, CA, too. I've been bumped off the road several times in the last three years, though luckily I've never been seriously injured. I hope you've fully recovered.

I'm sure your wife is now anxious about you riding. I'm in the same boat, so I recently purchased an identification product that I wear for her.

I had been riding with my wallet, but I thought it might get knocked away in a crash. I've also written my name on my helmet, but that might get lost in a bad crash, too.

Then I heard about a dog tag for cyclists. It costs only about $8. Now I wear mine on every ride and feel secure that the EMTs will know who I am. Here's the company: www.poundmaster.com

For the last 11 years, I've ridden with a small round mirror that attaches inside the left lens of my Oakley sunglasses. It's only 3/8-inch in diameter and invisible to anyone but the person using it. It's called the ViewPoint and costs just $10. You can see it at www.cycleaware.com

The ViewPoint doesn't work for all glasses or riders, but I've found it to be a great way to keep track of what cars are doing before they do it. It's helped me escape danger or control the situation by signaling to drivers to prevent them from doing something stupid.

One other nice advantage: When you ride with a mirror, you always know when it's safe to relax and move farther out in the lane, which is more often than you might think.

Source: RBR
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Two Favorite Safety Products
Page 1 of 1