Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Safety lighting for cyclists

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

Safety lighting for cyclists Empty
PostSubject: Safety lighting for cyclists   Safety lighting for cyclists Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 5:52 am

Safety lighting for cyclists 2868246289_b8747504b9

The Safety Illumination of Rider light ("SIR Light") from Safe Bicycling Innovations mounts to the seat tube or seat post to illuminate the cyclists legs.

According to inventor Dr. James Carillo, the standard bicycle lights "does nothing to identify the rider as a bicyclist."

Carillo created the SIR Light after a near accident with a motorist while commuting to work on a dark morning. His strobe headlight and rear taillight surprisingly, were not enough light to warn a driver backing out of a driveway that he was about to pass by on his bike. It was this experience that awakened Dr. Carillo's need to create a better way for cyclists, not just bikes, to be visible on the road.

The SIR Light puts a glow on and around the rider and bicycle, making them visible to a motorist whether they are approaching from the side, back or front of the rider.

The website says "patent pending" -- I should look up the patent claims. I've been experimenting with this kind of "body illumination" since the mid 80s after a night time collision of my own, and I know of at least one other cyclist who does the same thing.

Source: Cyclelicious
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

Safety lighting for cyclists
Page 1 of 1