Tampa Area Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tampa Area Cycling

Community Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How Can I Get Stronger on Hills?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy
Admin
Randy

How Can I Get Stronger on Hills? Empty
PostSubject: How Can I Get Stronger on Hills?   How Can I Get Stronger on Hills? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 7:05 pm

QUESTION: Climbing kills my legs. On a long hill or a sequence of short climbs, I can feel my strength ebb. What's the best way to ride a hill, and how can I build strength and stamina? -- David W.

COACH FRED: The usual reason riders die on consecutive hills is simple -- they attack the first one too hard and then have no zip left for the others. If you go so hard that you're panting uncontrollably, you're in big trouble.

On a single long climb, it's the same story. Don't go too hard during the first third or you'll die before the top.

The second reason is overgearing. Your pedaling cadence while climbing should be almost as high as on the flats -- at least 80 rpm. This means that you probably need lower gearing than you have.

Lance Armstrong climbs in a 39x23-tooth gear, or even a 25. He produces more than twice the power of the average masters racer, not to mention recreational rider. Yet many roadies have only a 39x25 low gear. If Lance uses a 23 or 25, most of us need a triple crankset to get gears low enough for climbing with a high and efficient cadence.

Finally, to climb well, climb. Many people avoid climbs on their training rides and wonder why they're no good on hills. Seek out hills once or twice a week and go up at a brisk, steady pace. You'll improve.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/spriggcycling

How Can I Get Stronger on Hills?
Page 1 of 1